The history of a brush-making factory.
Johann and his wife Maria Schellenberger founded Schellenberger Bürstenfabrik in 1907. During the thirties, the market demanded industrially manufactured brushes in addition to the handmade variety. The company founders faced up to this challenge and developed machinery that was more than capable of meeting the demands.
Keeping pace with the times …
When the company patriarch died in 1942, his wife took over the business. Not much was left of the once flourishing firm at the end of the war. The sons Richard and Erwin Schellenberger took over in 1945 and enlarged the company (more than 200 employees). They worked together on rebuilding the business and were able to pass the brush factory on to the third generation.
… our mission statement.
Today, Wolfgang Schellenberger (sole Managing Director), Gisela Schellenberger (Marketing/Controlling) and Michael Schellenberger (Operations/COO) are leading Europe’s biggest manufacturer of twisted brushes into a promising future. They have invested over €2 million in the modernisation, digitisation and automation of our company in recent years.
Our Timeline: We build on tradition and progress …
1907 │ Establishment of Schellenberger Bürstenfabrik GmbH
Aged 21, Johann Schellenberger started an apprenticeship as a brush maker with the firm Schloß/Steindecker in Bechhofen. Here he got to know the art of brush making, as well as his future wife Maria. As an ambitious soul, he then entered his company into the trade register of the Bechhofen Market Town on 15 July 1907, just a few months before his marriage. Afterwards, the “medical-pharmaceutical brush factory” started to produce custom brushes of all kinds on behalf of Steindecker.
1945 │ Reconstruction from scratch
Erwin Schellenberger returned from imprisonment after the war, where he and Richard discovered that the brush factory had been reduced to ruins. All raw materials had been used up, and all the machines destroyed. The brothers resolved to rebuild the company by launching a line of handmade and twisted brushes.
1966 │ Construction of a new production facility
More than 60 wooden piles were driven into the ground during construction of the new facility on Feuchtwanger Straße, as the river Wieseth flowed straight past the company complex, creating a marshy environment. They continue to support our production building to this very day.
2009 │ Europe’s largest manufacturer of twisted brushes
Gisela Schellenberger saw over the company’s redesign: A modern logo, a fresh Internet presence and revamped flyers and catalogues etc. gave a fresh face to the richly traditional company. Wolfgang and Gisela Schellenberger implemented these revolutionary measures to lead the company into the 21st century.